Is Ruby-Toolbox dead? It doesn't seem to be actively maintained any more.

Alex

18 Sep, 2014 10:16 AM

I found many open suggested edits and issues that were created months ago. The official twitter account's last message was posted on Jan 26th. And many discussions in this help forum only got ads as the only reply.

It appears that the ruby-toolbox is a closed source project and is managed by the solo developer Christoph Olszowka. I'm wondering if the site is still actively developed.

The ruby-toolbox is a great website. I'd hate to see the project abandoned and serves stale data. And I do believe there are many developers who are willing to help out contributing.

I'm not sure if this message will be seen by anyone in charge. Christoph's last reply was on April. I'll try reaching him on twitter and post any updates here.

1. 1 Posted by Alex on 18 Sep, 2014 12:59 PM

Here's Christoph's reply:
    > @alex_huangtao It's maintained, but I have limited time recently since becoming a dad. I'm working towards opening things up more though!

Looking forward to his plan for opening up :D

2. 2 Posted by Dale on 05 Nov, 2014 08:46 PM

Heh, I'm glad you posted this, Alex. I've been getting a little demoralized with the lack of functionality and forward movement.

I think the biggest thing at this point is that projects can't be submitted... The community continues to move forward and the longer the site goes without adding new projects the less and less useful it becomes, which is a shame because it was once my go-to place for finding gems (other than rubygems.org).

I hope the creator (Christoph?) finds time to either pass the torch or get back to an operational state! Looking forward to it!

3. 3 Posted by wvengen on 02 Mar, 2015 10:44 AM

Perhaps even something as simple as having a group of trusted editors that can modify project information and manage categories could make a huge difference. I'd love this great resource become relevant again.

4. 4 Posted by Andrew Havens on 26 Mar, 2015 05:28 AM

I agree! Ruby Toolbox is an awesome resource. I would love to help in any way that I can.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Christoph Olszo... on 26 Mar, 2015 12:01 PM

Hey folks, I am truly very sorry for being so unresponsive recently :( I am in the process of opening up things for contributions and should have something ready in the next two months. Thank you very much for your support!

On 26. März 2015 05:28:55 WEZ, Andrew Havens <[email blocked]> wrote:

6. 6 Posted by wvengen on 30 Mar, 2015 07:39 AM

Thanks, that's really good news. Keep it up :)

7. 7 Posted by Anton on 05 Aug, 2015 10:53 PM

Really waiting for that day! Thanks, Christoph

8. 8 Posted by Leonel on 06 Oct, 2015 04:52 PM

Many of us will be happy to help once contributions are open.

9. 9 Posted by Richard on 05 Jan, 2016 08:28 PM

+1

10. 10 Posted by Marionen on 07 Jan, 2016 03:11 PM

power tools by

11. 11 Posted by Mateusz Koniecz... on 26 Feb, 2016 07:15 AM

"I am in the process of opening up things for contributions and should have something ready in the next two months."

Has anything happened?

12. 12 Posted by Sahal Ali on 04 Sep, 2016 08:58 PM

IMHO, stagnation is far more dangerous for living systems than death

13. 13 Posted by sathors on 12 Jan, 2017 05:44 PM

I think the way for the project to move forward would be to open-source it, and put it in Github.
    It would enable as well to cut out this support wiki/discussion boards, lightening the maintainance burden.

I understand that Christoph Olszowka has little time to devote to it. Putting the project on Github would enable him to find committers, and maybe someone new ready to lead the project.

I have the feeling that this website is a cornerstone of the ruby community and to our workflow, so it would be really nice to help maintaining it.

@Christoph Olszowka, do you have reserves about opening the source code?
    Would somebody know a way to contact Christoph more directly, because this post may stay a long time without being seen...

14. 14 Posted by Alex on 13 Jan, 2017 12:11 AM

I'm the OP. I wrote to Chirstoph on twitter and he replied. Maybe we should use twitter.

15. 15 Posted by sathors on 13 Jan, 2017 04:08 PM

I reached out to him on Twitter, following your advice.

16. 16 Posted by sathors on 01 Feb, 2017 09:11 PM

No answer so far.

17. 17 Posted by marytheidiot on 13 Mar, 2017 06:25 PM

Any news? Ruby toolbox is a valuable resource for anyone involved in programming, it would be a shame to just let it die...

18. 18 Posted by sathors on 14 Mar, 2017 02:50 PM

No news whatsoever. I twitted at him once more, without more luck.
    I guess I am going to try to contact him by email, at least to have some kind of answer.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac